Translate into another language

Saturday, October 20, 2012

More About Motorcycles: Taxis, Licenses, Helmets

Huy said:

"We have everything: FEDEX, DHL, but the best mode of transportation is the motorcycle.
Typical Saturday morning intersection

"People use their motorcycle to make money. You will notice a man on a motorcycle with one extra helmet, or maybe 2 or 3 extra helmets. That's a taxi.
Taxis

"You can negotiate the price when you hire him to take you to your destination. Then, after you agree on the price, he will race through the streets to get you to your destination quickly so he can be ready to get another fare or to get back to his original place. Because he will be speeding, the passenger often needs to hug the driver. We call that a 'hugging taxi'. I don't recommend that you hire a hugging taxi.

"Motorcycles get about 120 mpg.

"Every time you buy a new bike, you will need a new license plate which will cost about $50 USD. You must be 18 years old and take a 2-part driving test: a written part and a driving part. The written part covers the 'rules of the road.' The motor vehicle laws are not really 'laws', they are more like suggestions." We noticed a young school boy driving a motorcycle. He did not appear to be 18; perhaps between 13 and 14. Negotiable. Because children are taken on their parents' cycles from infancy, driving one is "in their blood."

Huy shared another personal story.

"When my daughter was 2 1/2 years old, I needed a safety belt to take her with me on my cycle. My wife was not going to be riding with us. I belted my daughter behind me. After the ride she said, 'Daddy, the next time we ride on the bike, may I ride in front of you?' I answered, 'Yes, you may. But why do you want to ride in front of me?' 'So that I can see better. And also so I can beep the horn whenever I want to.'" Huy's face lit up with a big grin as we bus passengers burst out in laughter.

Helmets:

Motorcycle operators must wear a helmet. BUT...many people have excuses for why they don't wear a helmet. "If I wear a helmet, then I can't hear my cell phone." "It messes up my hair." Negotiable. So people wear helmets for the police, not for their own safety. Huy said there are helmets made with a cut-out at the back of the head to accommodate a pony tail.


No comments:

Post a Comment